- To review the existing and emerging auditing practices worldwide and identify areas in which Standards on Quality Control, Engagement Standards and Statements on Auditing need to be developed.
- To formulate Engagement Standards, Standards on Quality Control and Statements on Auditing so that these may be issued under the authority of the Council of the Institute.
- To review the existing Standards and Statements on Auditing to assess their relevance in the changed conditions and to undertake their revision, if necessary.
- To develop Guidance Notes on issues arising out of any Standard, auditing issues pertaining to any specific industry or on generic issues, so that those may be issued under the authority of the Council of the Institute.
- To review the existing Guidance Notesa to assess their relevance in the changed circumstances and to undertake their revision, if necessary.
- To formulate General Clarifications, where necessary, on issues arising from Standards.
- To formulate and issue Technical Guides, Practice Manuals, Studies and other papers under its own authority for guidance of professional accountants in the cases felt appropriate by the Board.