In this Exposure Draft, the IASB proposes to amend IAS 8. With the aim to help entities distinguish accounting policies from accounting estimates. More specifically, the proposed amendments would clarify:
- how accounting policies and accounting estimates relate to each other, by:
- explaining that accounting estimates are used in applying accounting policies; and
- making the definition of accounting policies clearer and more concise;
- that selecting an estimation technique, or valuation technique, used when an item in the financial statements cannot be measured with precision, constitutes making an accounting estimate; and
- that, in applying IAS 2 Inventories, selecting the first-in, first-out (FIFO) cost formula or the weighted average cost formula for interchangeable inventories constitutes selecting an accounting policy.
Invitation to comment
ASB invites comments on the Exposure Draft from the public. The downloadable version is available at:/resource/47073asb36929b.pdf
How to comment
Comments should be submitted using one of the following methods, so as to be received not later than November 30, 2017.